Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 1997 22:55:01 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        tqbf@enteract.com
Cc:        sadmin@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7

>>    Installing the fixed libc should solve the problem for everything that is
>> built the standard, dynamic/'shared library' way.
>
>crt0 is dynamically linked? I don't see the kernel resolving dynamic

   crt0 is static and part of every binary.

   The real problem is with what crt0 calls - _startup_setlocale() in libc,
which does a getenv of PATH_LOCALE and copies it to a stack buffer without
bounds checking. I removed the getenv call from the libc code, so this attack
simply doesn't exist anymore. Anything that is built shared/dynamic will
get the new libc and thus will no longer be vulnerable.

-DG

David Greenman