Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:21:56 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Update] Upgrading using the source code

[I believe this is applicable to both -questions and -doc]

		       Upgrading using the source code

				      or

		       How to make the world your own.

  I've just finished and uploaded a new version of my tutorial/HOWTO
  explaining how to upgrade a FreeBSD installation after downloading the
  source code.

  Changes with this new version include:

    * Examples are no longer specific to FreeBSD 2.1.7. Instead, different
      sections cover different versions of FreeBSD from 2.0 to -current.

    * Wrote and include a script (dircmp.pl) to compare the files in two
      directories. Similar to (but with a more limited scope than) Matthew
      Thyer's 'etcud' script.

    * Updated "Building on an NFS server, installing on a client" section to
      cover the 'buildworld' and 'installworld' targets on 2.2.5 and above.

    * Added a new FAQ, "How can I speed up making the world?" based on
      comments and suggestions from the mailing lists.

    * Noted the 'optional-ness' of building in single user mode.

    * Fixed numerous small typos and general tidying up.

  The tutorial is (currently) available from

    http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

  The version on the FreeBSD site should be updated shortly.
--
--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
			     . . . and relax