Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 14:42:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org, davidg@freebsd.org, rgrimes@freebsd.org, gpalmer@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mirroring FreeBSD

	First let me apolgise if I got too many people on this e-mail.
I was given some suggestions on who to contact and in the interest of
time I am trying them all at once.

	I work for the Computer Science Department at Virginia Tech.
This fall we plan to have our Freshman use FreeBSD on a PC based
platform.  As part of this we want to set up a local FreeBSD mirror
so they can FTP updates from us rather then clogging the net.

	Right now we are mirroring using the "mirror" software (Perl
scripts) from ftp.freebsd.org.  We don't like this because mirror is
rather slow, and hard on the machine (often wanting to grow to over a
100 meg image).  We just finished converting our NetBSD mirror to
"sup" which is working very nicely, so I am interested in using sup
to mirror FreeBSD.

	As I understand it now the development trees and packages are
availabe via sup from sup.FreeBSD.org.  We would like to be able to
sup all of ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD though.  I'm not sure exactly
what it would take to make that work, which is why I am enquireing now.

	I would also be open to other suggestions on how to mirror
with other programs if there is a better way.

	The mirror we have set up will be publically accessable by
the end of the fall, running on a dedicated machine.  It will have
FreeBSD, NetBSD, X11, and GNU on it.  We will announce the hostname
when all of these mirroring problems are worked out.

	Thanks for your time.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org    | Make a little birdhouse
               bicknell@vt.edu     | in your soul......