Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:56:50 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wierd hardware instability

I've been experimenting with using a 13MHz oven crystal oscillator to
replace the 14.318MHz master reference in an old Asus P5A-B
motherboard.  (The board uses an ICS8148-53 clock generator).  If I
set TIMER_FREQ=1083342 and "overclock" by 10% then the CPU is running
very close to nominal.

I'm running 5.3p5 and using "make buildworld" as a stress test and
have found some fairly wierd behaviour: If I let the system boot
normally from power-on then it is unstable - the buildworld will crash
with internal compiler errors and I eventually wind up with a panic.
If I manually reset the system then it becomes rock solid - it has
been doing "make -j 4 buildworld" in a loop for about 4 days without
a problem but as soon as I do a power-on restart, it becomes unstable
again.  The system was reliable before I started, so it's presumably
something I've done but I can't see why a power-on reset should have
different behaviour to pressing the reset button.  Does anyone have
any suggestions as to the cause.

If anyone wants more detail on what I've done, feel free to ask - I
will probably post details at some stage.

--
Peter Jeremy