Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:10:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Theo van Klaveren <havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with the ATA-driver

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It probably because I relaxed the requirements for doing WDMA on disks
> that doesn't bother to tell whihc verson of the ATA spec they conform to.
> I think your case is the more seldom one, but I'm this close to
> blacklisting all WD/Maxtor drives, that would make life alot easier...

Perhaps blacklisting all WD/Maxtor drives that don't report an ATA
version, as the ata (and wd) driver works flawlessly in UDMA33 mode with
my setup:

ata-pci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA controller> at device 7.1 on pci0
ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
ata1 at 0x0170 irq 15 on ata-pci0
ad0: <WDC AC313000R/15.01J55> ATA-4 disk at ata0 as master
ad0: 12416MB (25429824 sectors), 25228 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, UDMA33

Although I coulda sworn it was an ATA/66 device with the proper cable.
Hmm.  But hey, at least it works, reasonably fast too.  Nice job :)

- alex