Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:59:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Error installing pine-3.96

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
=>Thoughts?

I have one thought I'd like to toss into the soup...

<background mode>

I have two decades of computer experience.  I've done just about
everything once (and some things I don't want to admit to more than once
-- anyone need a cobol programmer anymore?)

In this time, I've installed the exact same code base on upwards of a
dozen platforms (hardware/os combinations).  So I know what's involved
in keeping a suite of programs in a position to be compiled on multiple
platforms at any one time.

Now, with all of that, I have just over four months of FreeBSD
experience.  So take my following comments with that in mind...

</background mode>

It appears to me, from my perusing the code and makefiles, from my
discussions with other fbsd'ers, etc, that the whole focus of fbsd is
that of a single pc on your desk that attackes to something else.

This manifests itself in things like the make world process is hardcoded
to replace the real system.  When I used ctm to get me the latest 2.2
code (for the digiboard driver), the make world started replacing the
2.1.5 executables with the 2.2 ones.  This is fraught with potential
problems.  What if I had to reboot in the middle and the kernel was
2.1.5 and csh was 2.2?  Potential problem all over the place.

We already take into consideration the possibility of a person having a
pc with multiple os's on it.  Why can't we consider the option of having
one pc with multiple versions of fbsd on it?  One of the excuses for not
making a port compatible with more than one version is that you can't
test a 2.1.7 on a 2.2 (or a 3.0) system.  Why not?  Why can't I compile
my 2.2 system and have it sit in a local subdirectory instead of the
real system directories.

I know, I could use an nfs mounted system which holds the code and
compile on another box, but that begs the question.  The code is still
going into the 'live' area of the machine in question.  When we did a
make of our system, it went into a subdirectory for that particular
platform (make picked up the host and chdir to it's tree).  We could
'make world' while people were using/testing the system and they
wouldn't know it.

Now that I've said that, let me say I am really starting to like my fbsd
system.  It's pretty clean, it's running very well, seems quite stable,
and it is getting the job done without my constant intervention.  I'm a
happy guy.

I can just see things that make me think some people are stuck in this
'small system on my pc' mode.  And if they caught a bigger vision, then
perhaps bigger things would happen.

I'm taking care of my problem.  I'm adding another box onto my lan which
will hold the current code base and will keep it up to date.  But how
many people have access to a computer they can 'waste' running ctm.  If
it crashes, none of my clients will know (or care).  I'll then hack the
makefile(s) so I'll be able to compile kernels for all of my other
machines.  Then I'll make scripts which will copy the new executables
and kernel to the target box.

And I'll keep the code from the older versions, so if, by chance, I
actually develop or port something, I can ensure it works for the
multiple versions.  But again I ask, who can afford to stick several
boxes on a rack running ctm/cvsup?

It's obvious not all of the core members do.  And while I don't think
they should have to, the current paradigm seems to either force them to
or accept a lower grade of support -- that of only the -current stuff
being kept up-to-date.

So that's my $0.02 worth (and probably a lot more).

Again, let me say, I am quite happy with fbsd.  And I am personally
willing to do what it takes to keep my system up and stable for my
clients.  Even if I think it is a little excessive.

Lee