Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 2015 17:18:33 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sa(4) driver changes available for test

On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 17:06:24 -0500, Dan Langille wrote:

> [...]
> >   figure out how to put a standard schema on it so that standard tools
> >   could read it.  I don't know how feasible that is, since I haven't
> >   time to dig into it.  If anyone has suggestions on whether that is
> >   feasible or advisable, I'd appreciate feedback.
> >
> > 3. I have tested with a reasonable amount of tape hardware (see below for a
> >   list), but more testing and feedback would be good.
> >
> > 4. Standard 'mt status' output looks like this:
> >
> > # mt -f /dev/nsa3 status  -v
> > Drive: sa3: <IBM ULTRIUM-HH6 E4J1> Serial Number: 101500520A
> > ---------------------------------
> > Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> > Current:  0x5a:LTO-6           variable       384607   enabled (0xff)
> > ---------------------------------
> > Current Driver State: at rest.
> > ---------------------------------
> > Partition:   0      Calc File Number:   0     Calc Record Number: 0
> > Residual:    0  Reported File Number:   0 Reported Record Number: 0
> > Flags: BOP
> >
> > 5. 'mt status -v' looks like this:
> >
> > # mt -f /dev/nsa3 status  -v
> > Drive: sa3: <IBM ULTRIUM-HH6 E4J1> Serial Number: 101500520A
> > ---------------------------------
> > Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> > Current:  0x5a:LTO-6           variable       384607   enabled (0xff)
> > ---------------------------------
> > Current Driver State: at rest.
> > ---------------------------------
> > Partition:   0      Calc File Number:   0     Calc Record Number: 0
> > Residual:    0  Reported File Number:   0 Reported Record Number: 0
> > Flags: BOP
> > ---------------------------------
> > Tape I/O parameters:
> >  Maximum I/O size allowed by driver and controller (maxio): 1081344 bytes
> >  Maximum I/O size reported by controller (cpi_maxio): 5197824 bytes
> >  Maximum block size supported by tape drive and media (max_blk): 8388608 bytes
> >  Minimum block size supported by tape drive and media (min_blk): 1 bytes
> >  Block granularity supported by tape drive and media (blk_gran): 0 bytes
> >  Maximum possible I/O size (max_effective_iosize): 1081344 bytes
>

> # mtx -f /dev/pass0 status
>   Storage Changer /dev/pass0:2 Drives, 10 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
> Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
>       Storage Element 1:Empty
>       Storage Element 2:Empty
>       Storage Element 3:Empty
>       Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=FAI260
>       Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=FAI261
>       Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=FAI262
>       Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=FAI263
>       Storage Element 8:Empty
>       Storage Element 9:Empty
>       Storage Element 10:Empty
>

> It was at this point I spent the next 90 minute trying to get the tape
> drive out of the tape library to free a stuck tape.  Some of this was spent
> attempting, and failing, to undo a stripped screw.  I stopped the attempt when
> I noticed the screw did need to be removed.  :/

Thanks for all of the effort!  Looks like it is paying off! :)

> When I do this command, I hear the drive move a bit, to read the tape:
>
> # mt -f /dev/nsa1 status
> Drive: sa1: <DEC TZ89     (C) DEC 2561> Serial Number: CXA09S1340
> ---------------------------------
> Mode      Density                Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> Current:  0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    enabled (IDRC)
> ---------------------------------
> Current Driver State: at rest.
> ---------------------------------
> Partition:   0      Calc File Number:   0     Calc Record Number: 0
> Residual:    0  Reported File Number:  -1 Reported Record Number: -1
> Flags: None

Looks like the drive isn't reporting position information.  It will still
be useful to try it with Bacula, though.

> # mt -f /dev/nsa1 ostatus
> Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> Current:  0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> ---------available modes---------
> 0:        0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> 1:        0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> 2:        0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> 3:        0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> ---------------------------------
> Current Driver State: at rest.
> ---------------------------------
> File Number: 0	Record Number: 0	Residual Count 0
>

> After doing a very small tar -c and tar -x, I have:
>
> # mt -f /dev/nsa1 /dev/nsa1 ostatus
> Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> Current:  0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> ---------available modes---------
> 0:        0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> 1:        0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> 2:        0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> 3:        0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    IDRC
> ---------------------------------
> Current Driver State: at rest.
> ---------------------------------
> File Number: 0	Record Number: 7	Residual Count 0

Woohoo!  It works.

> # mt -f /dev/nsa1 status -v
> Drive: sa1: <DEC TZ89     (C) DEC 2561> Serial Number: CXA09S1340
> ---------------------------------
> Mode      Density                Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> Current:  0x1b:DLTapeIV(35GB)    variable       85937    enabled (IDRC)
> ---------------------------------
> Current Driver State: at rest.
> ---------------------------------
> Partition:   0      Calc File Number:   0     Calc Record Number: 7
> Residual:    0  Reported File Number:  -1 Reported Record Number: -1
> Flags: None
> ---------------------------------
> Tape I/O parameters:
>   Maximum I/O size allowed by driver and controller (maxio): 65536 bytes
>   Maximum I/O size reported by controller (cpi_maxio): 0 bytes
>   Maximum block size supported by tape drive and media (max_blk): 16777214 bytes
>   Minimum block size supported by tape drive and media (min_blk): 2 bytes
>   Block granularity supported by tape drive and media (blk_gran): 0 bytes
>   Maximum possible I/O size (max_effective_iosize): 65536 bytes
>
> I may not get to testing Bacula today.
>
> Based on the above, is there any commands you'd like me to try?

Aside from making sure things work okay with Bacula, that is probably
sufficient.  These drives won't support density reports or position
information.

> Read below regarding two tape drives
>

> > 6. Existing applications should work without changes.  If not, please let
> >   me know.  Hopefully they will move over time to the new interfaces.
> >
> > 7. There are lots of additional features that could be added later.
> >   Append-only support, encryption, more log pages, etc.
> >
> > 8. I have SCSI READ ATTRIBUTE changes for camcontrol(8) that will go in
> >   separately.  These changes allow displaying the contents of the MAM
> >   (Medium Auxiliary Memory) chips on LTO, TS and other modern tape drives.
> >   These are good, and a future possible direction is adding attributes
> >   to the status XML from the sa(4) driver.
> >
> > ============
> > Significant upgrades to sa(4) and mt(1).
> >
> > The primary focus of these changes is to modernize FreeBSD's
> > tape infrastructure so that we can take advantage of some of the
> > features of modern tape drives and allow support for LTFS.
> >
> > Significant changes and new features include:
> >
> > o sa(4) driver status and parameter information is now exported via an
> >   XML structure.  This will allow for changes and improvements later
> >   on that will not break userland applications.  The old MTIOCGET
> >   status ioctl remains, so applications using the existing interface
> >   will not break.
> >
> > o 'mt status' now reports drive-reported tape position information
> >   as well as the previously available calculated tape position
> >   information.  These numbers will be different at times, because
> >   the drive-reported block numbers are relative to BOP (Beginning
> >   of Partition), but the block numbers calculated previously via
> >   sa(4) (and still provided) are relative to the last filemark.
> >   Both numbers are now provided.  'mt status' now also shows the
> >   drive INQUIRY information, serial number and any position flags
> >   (BOP, EOT, etc.) provided with the tape position information.
> >   'mt status -v' adds information on the maximum possible I/O size,
> >   and the underlying values used to calculate it.
> >
> > o The extra sa(4) /dev entries (/dev/saN.[0-3]) have been removed.
>
> How does this affect a tape library with more than one tape drive?
>
> [root@cuppy:~] # camcontrol amcontrol devlist
> <DEC TL800    (C) DEC 0525>        at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ch0)
> <DEC TZ89     (C) DEC 2561>        at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (sa1,pass2)
> <WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 12.01C02>   at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,ada0)
> <WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 12.01C02>   at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,ada1)
> <AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 1.00 0001>   at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass5,ses0)
>
> This system has two tapes drives and I can access them through the front panel but:
>
> # ls -l /dev/*sa*
> crw-rw----  1 root  operator  0x65 Feb 28 22:04 /dev/esa1
> crw-rw----  1 root  operator  0x64 Mar  1 22:43 /dev/nsa1
> crw-rw----  1 root  operator  0x63 Feb 28 22:04 /dev/sa1
> crw-rw----  1 root  operator  0x62 Feb 28 22:04 /dev/sa1.ctl
>
> ... only one tape drives shows up.

Hmm.  The tape drive is listed as sa1, which implies that there may be an
sa0 that was there previously or is in the process of probing.  What does
dmesg show?  How about 'camcontrol devlist -v'?

I would look at cabling and termination.  Is this your library?

http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/mds-199909/cd3/tape/tl891uga.pdf

If it is close enough, there are 6 connectors on the back.  You would want
to have something plugged into all 6, either a cable or a terminator.

In the manual above, the SCSI IDs are set via the front panel.  If the
other drive is on the same bus as the drive above and the library device,
it should be at a separate SCSI ID.