Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:50:14 -0500
From:      lankfordandrew@charter.net
To:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Root partition and usrland on one slice, /usr/local ports and src on another

When I installed FreeBSD 10 on an old laptop, I wanted to merge both=0At=
he root partition heirarchy (kernel /bin /sbin etc) and the rest of=0AFb=
sd usr-land together onto one slice. I like upgrading from source,=0Abut=
 I do that more frequently with ports than the OS-proper. When I=0Aneed=
 to boot up single user, it seems rather quaint these days (at=0Aleast f=
or a laptop user) to have to mount /usr in order to get=0Areasonably the=
 functionality from applications that use shared=0Alibraries (vi, man pa=
ges, etc). The likelyhood that I'm going to fall=0Aback on a serial port=
 and an ASR-33 tty are nil.=0A=0ASo what I'd like to do is put the entir=
e freebsd system on one fairly=0Asmall, pristine slice, but put the more=
 bloated and ephemeral src,=0Aports, /usr/local, /home portions on one b=
ig slice. I tried symlinks=0Abetween "/src" or "/usr/src" and "/usr/port=
s" and tweaking some build=0Avariables, but it seemed like something alw=
ays breaks in some bizarre=0Away whenever I tried to rebuild world. I gu=
ess a lot of the strange=0Abehavior showed up in /src/contrib and the gn=
u licensed side of the=0Abuild system. Can anyone suggest some docs on /=
src and ports,=0Aspecifically for what I'm trying to do besides "man src=
"?=0A=0AAndrew Lankford=0A=0A