Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2014 00:01:37 +0000
From:      Ian Lord <lordi@msdi.ca>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Backup solution for freeBSD/Symantec Backup exec porting

Hi,

I've been using freebsd since version 4.11 and always dealt with backup sem=
i manually with dump, copying files over, database dumps, etc.

By the way, not as a home user, but for 8-10 servers used in a SAAS applica=
tion. We are looking for something more serious as we are dealing with abou=
t 10TB of data for documents, and 600-800 gigs of SQL database. Everything =
is redundant, replicated, etc, but we need a serious backup solution.

We are thinking of purchasing a DELL Powervault LT2000 device which consist=
s of 1 or 2 LTO6 tape drives with 24 slots giving 60TB of data space for re=
tention

I've read a lot on the subject and many people seem to do dumps on a remote=
 HD, etc, but to get to 60TB of disk space would cost a lot and would be le=
ss reliable then a tape library in my opinion.

We need something automated and reliable. Hopefully, with a nice gui to res=
tore individual files etc...

We already have backup exec 2014 for our windows servers, but they don't ma=
ke an agent for freebsd.
Symantec has netbackup which supports FreeBSD, but it seems really expensiv=
e (A rep will call me, tells all about the price lol)

I've read on Bacula and Amanda, and it really doesn't feel like a product m=
ature enough (outdated documentation, no clear indication the tape library =
would work, etc). Their commercial counterparts are really expensives... I'=
m afraid to purchase hardware, new server, etc and end up with nothing work=
ing.

In the past, we used backup exec to backup freebsd using their legacy backu=
p agents in linux compat mode and it was working really well. We tried (wit=
hout extensive effort) to make work their linux agent on freebsd without su=
ccess.

So my questions are:

1-      Does anyone have a tape library working with bacula or Amanda ? Doe=
s it work well ? (meaning stable, reliable and good performance)

2-      Would anyone be willing to try to make backup exec work on freebsd =
using linux compat mode ? I would be willing to finance the project up to 5=
00$ perhaps other people reading this could also contribute to have more ma=
n hours on this task.

I love so much FreeBSD Over Linux, but it's always hard to get support from=
 vendors... We are even evaluating to switch our fileservers to Centos (whe=
re we also dump sql databases and could replicate important data from freeB=
SD) to be able to easily back them up using Backup Exec's agent. But this w=
ould be my last resort as I don't want to support linux box where everythin=
g else in in FreeBSD.

Any help/comment would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian Lord