Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:14:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Noisy tar

We're trying to use tar to get incremental backups, i.e. files modified
in the last 24 hours.  The problem is that when we use the -N option, tar
insists on reporting each file that has *not* been changed.  This seems a
bit bizzare, I don't care about the 30,000 files that haven't changed,
I'd like to hear about the 100 that have and that it added to the
tarfile.  If I can't have that, i'd be happy if it would just shut up.
Anyone know how?  Yes, I could send it all to /dev/null, but I'm afraid
I'd also flush any real error messages.

Cliff