Date:      Thu, 2 Feb 1995 03:00:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, root@io.cts.com, jkh@FreeBSD.org, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: sup: Ok, I'm gonna do it.

> > Would an all singing, all dancing administration tool, like SVR4 sysadm
> > or AIX's be a sufficient answer to this problem?
>
> It would certainly be a heck of a start.  I've made a very rudimentary
> beginning on this with `dmenu', but something a lot more polished I
> certainly would not kick out of bed for eating crackers.
>
> > What it if was only available as a GUI tool?
>
> There would be some fuss, but since Jeremy has kindly offered Xaccel
> at VGA resolutions, we'd have most folks covered.

Offered it to who?

> > The installer is a special purpose program -- that is, its scope is
> > extremely limited.  It does what it does extremely well.  You might
> > liken it to a car that runs real well in one lane of a 20 lane
> > freeway.  Reentering it is like trying to signal a lane change.
>
> I'd be even more blunt: Reentering it simply should not be allowed,
> with the installer leaving the system after installation.

Hmm, I've got a few queries regarding that since a lot of the code that we'll
add to sysinstall this time around is actually quite usefull. All the
disklabelling code is stuff you're going to want to use at other times
besides installation such as when you get a new disk. Also, I'd like to
make it possible to just download a single basic module during installation
and then go get other modules as and when I feel I need more.

There's also a lot of glue in sysinstall that binds all these functions
together that you'd never want to use again, we need to look at this in
a bit more depth.
--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Phone: +44 1222 874000 x6646 (work), +44 1222 457651 (home)