Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 22:14:39 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Uh oh..  Time to take another look at the packages collection!

The FreeBSD-current packages collection currently requires 713MB, not
counting the filename information itself (which, on CDs, is stored
very wastefully and generally accounts for another 30-40MB in cases
like this where you have hundreds of files).  I don't need to tell
anyone here that 750MB does *not* fit on a single CD, and even with
4 CDs for 3.0 we're going to run into problems just organizing it.

So, as I see it, we have two alternatives:

1. Come up with a "reduced set" of packages which we'll provide that
   way, the goal being to provide 650MB or less of "quality" packages
   rather than going for the kitchen-sink approach.

2. Come up with a way of splitting the packages collection into multiple
   pieces, each piece having its own INDEX file and such.

Any other suggestions?

					Jordan