Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:34:54 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        Gerardo Amaya <gerardo@delaluz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Mobility Radeon

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 11:08:37AM -0600, Gerardo Amaya wrote:
> I have a compaq presario 1700 with a mobility radeon card. I install
> XFree 4.1.0 and when I try
>
> # XFree86 -configure
>
> I get this error
>
> Fatal server error:
>
> XFree86 has found a valid card configuration.
> Unfortunately the appropriate data has not been added to xf86PciInfo.h.
> Please forward 'scanpci -v' output to XFree86 support team.
>
> When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> the full server output, not just the last messages.
> This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
> Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.
>
> I attach my scanpci -v output if someone wants to see it
>
> I really need to run this thing
>
> thanks
>
> Gerardo

[snip]

> pci bus 0x1 cardnum 0x00 function 0x0000: vendor 0x1002 device 0x4c59
>  ATI  Device unknown
>  CardVendor 0x0e11 card 0xb11b (Compaq, Card unknown)
>   STATUS    0x02b0  COMMAND 0x0383
>   CLASS     0x03 0x00 0x00  REVISION 0x00
>   BIST      0x00  HEADER 0x00  LATENCY 0x42  CACHE 0x08
>   BASE0     0xd8000008  addr 0xd8000000  MEM PREFETCHABLE
>   BASE1     0x00002001  addr 0x00002000  I/O
>   BASE2     0xd0100000  addr 0xd0100000  MEM
>   MAX_LAT   0x00  MIN_GNT 0x08  INT_PIN 0x01  INT_LINE 0x0b

[snip]

Since I don't see any other replies I'll take a stab at it...

Sounds like Xfree86 does not recognize the hex id of the card. Perhaps
Compaq has customized the card's bios a bit to appear differently than most
Radeon Mobility cards.

You probably need to add the hex ID from the ATI card above to the proper place
in xf86PciInfo.h.

Where that goes I have no idea. I don't run Xfree86 4 on anything.

Xfree86 mailing lists would probably be a better place to direct this question.

Or you could do like it says and send the ouput to them like they ask. In fact,
do that anyway to help them help anyone in the future who ends up in your
situation with that chipset.

A quick search on google for xf86PciInfo.h showed that other people ahve had
similar problems with other cards. There are several patches out there which
might be adapted to your situation.

--devin
for this card.