Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:12:20 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Rate limiting HTTP requests

Is there any mechanism possible in FreeBSD or Apache, for limiting the
rate at which HTTP GET requests are served?

Specifically, we want to accommodate search engines that try to index a
large site we will host. Unfortunately, experience indicates that they
may fetch data at an uncomfortably high rate.

The server will be fine with this. The problem is that our bandwidth
charges will be based on the 95th percentile, 5-minute traffic average.
For those who aren't familiar with this, the colocation service has their
router log the total upstream and downstream bits transferred through our
network connection in each 5-minute interval. At the end of each calendar
month, the top 5% of these 5-minute intervals (traffic-wise) are
discarded, and the remaining highest value determines the billable rate
in Mbps.

The problem here is that historical data (on the host where the site
concerned is presently) indicates the search engines create undesirable
(and potentially expensive) peaks.

We don't want to lock the search engines out. Ideally, we would simply
degrade service to them (while maintaining full service for regular
users) so as to keep the peak data rate under some set limit. The rate
limiting criterion could be based on degrading service for any accessor
(remote IP) generating more than a certain level of traffic on a
sustained basis.

I hope this is not asking too much, but from our point of view, the
dollars involved could be considerable!

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna