Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:04:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>, all <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make and gnu make

On Mon, 23 March 1998 at  9:23:13 -0500, MALCOLM BOFF wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, MALCOLM BOFF wrote:
>
>>> Can anyone tell me whether or not gnu make provides support for the
>>> tilde (~) rules as used by SCCS or not as the FreeBSD 'make' does not.
>
>> No clue.
>
>>> As an aside the FreeBSD make seems very non-standard from the versions
>>> of 'make' that I have always used in the past and certainly doesn't look
>>> like the 'make' described in ORA. Why is that ??
>
>> The FreeBSD make comes directly out of 4.4BSD, and is thus dubbed ``BSD
>> make''.  It is quite strict in syntax.  I believe the ORA book uses
>> Solaris make which is a bastardization of make.
>
> It is with some trepidation that I have to disagree with
> your comments Doug.
>
> The ORA book "Managing Projects with Make" (Nutshell)
> specifically states  :-
>
> "This handbook is designed to teach you all the main
> features of the augmented version of make distributed
> with AT&T System V UNIX. This is the same version present
> in Berkeley UNIX distributions."

The make book was written quite some time ago, before pmake (now BSD
make) became available.  The first edition was written in 1986, and
the second edition in 1991.  I don't think there have been significant
changes since.

Up to 4.3BSD Tahoe (I think), BSD make was effectively the same as
System V make, both being descended from the Sixth/Seventh Edition
makes.  pmake and GNU make are both new implementations.

Sorry I didn't answer your original question (does GNU make support ~
rules?).  I don't know it off the top of my head, and basically it's
an RTFM.  I'd guess that the answer is "yes", though.  It handles RCS
quite well.

Which only leaves the question: "Why are you using SCCS?".

Greg