Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:47:43 +0200
From:      Shaun Jurrens <shamz@freenix.no>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adaptec 2940uw error message on -stable

Hi all,

Guess it's time I get back to you on how I got to the root of a very
similar problem.  I too was plagued by the same problem for months.
Changed every imaginable thing.  In the end it was a bios setting for ram
that I had changed from the default setting in an interrupted bios
tuning/testing session.  It seems to cause very small data corruption
problems: copying large .tar files succeeded only rarely, daily checks
caused errors too, but not always.  A very tough bug to track down.  Even
building world didn't seem to be affected, but cvsup was a nightmare...

Suggestion: set any bios changes for your ram back to default and change
only those you know work under load (cvsup or cpio/tar | cp).  I don't know
if it's because the ram is marginal or not.  Since I reset the setting (it
was just one and I had forgotten that I changed it at all) I haven't had a
single error, and I even have a lvd disk with adapter.

I hope I have been of some help.

--
Yours truly,

Shaun D. Jurrens