Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:35:19 -0500
From:      Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@cogeco.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Rob Zietlow <zietlow@securepipe.com>
Subject:   Re: psmintr: out of sync error messages

--=.KaWaz0hoortx.m

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:40:08 -0600 (CST)
Rob Zietlow <zietlow@securepipe.com> wrote:

> Good morning list.  I've come across a weird error.
>
> For the last couple weeks I've come across errors in my dmesg output
> saying the following
>
> psmintr: out of sync (0008 != 0000).
> psmintr: discard a byte (1).
> psmintr: out of sync (0008 != 0000).
> psmintr: discard a byte (2).
> <snip many lines>

 I seem to recall a message that said switching to a console and then switching back to X helps "resync" the mouse.

> I have a Microsoft Opitcal mouse plugged into my PS2 port.  I looked
> around on google and all I found was a discussion where someone was
> plugged into a KVM switch, and this  discussion was from back in Jan of
> 2001.  And aside from a discussion on  Security and KVM's not much
> amounted from this.  Last night my PS2 port went on my machine none of
> the 10 PS2 mice I have around the house would work. **grumble** and I switched to USB after looking up
> various usb mouse tutorials I followed the directions and when I plug in
> the USB port I get lots of scrolling and highlighting on my screen, my
> mouse flies up into the upper corner of my screen and I see many of the

 I have had this happen when I have the wrong Option "Protocol" and/or Option "Device" in XF86Config

--
Cogeco ergo sum

--=.KaWaz0hoortx.m

--=.KaWaz0hoortx.m--