Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 20:55:03 -0800
From:      "Daniel A. Borlean" <bord@cruzio.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dialing service provider during installation

Hi,

I'm having difficulty with installing FreeBSD over ftp.

After entering the network config with a network interface of ppp0, I
try to use the term command to dial my service provider in order to
connect to the ftp server.  But, nothing happens when I try to use the d
(for dialing) modem command.  I'm don't think this is the right
procedure.  Finally, when I press continue to connect and begin the
installation process, I get a "cannot relove hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'"
error, which is due to failing to connect.

I set the telephone variable with my ISP's dial up telephone number and
tried the term command with ~p and ~.  I chose the "FTP Passive"
installation media and the "Primary Site" FreeBSD distribution site.
This is my following Network Configuration:
Host: cruzio.com	Domain: com
Gateway:		Name Server: 165.227.10.1
IP Address:		Netmask: 255.255.255.0

If you could tell me the exact steps I'd have to take from the
installation menu on dialing or connecting to my ISP so I can install
FreeBSD on my computer, I'd be very greatful.  I did read the entire
QUICK INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR FREEBSD 2.1.6 and also looked for online
pointers, but did not find any useful details.  I've created the
appropriate partitions, but am hampered by this limitaion.

Thanks for your help,
Daniel

(*)  Daniel A. Borlean | bord@cruzio.com   (*)
         Life is Beautiful!  Cool!