Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2016 10:17:32 +0000
From:      Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@NTLWorld.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
Cc:        Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Improved manual page for ul(1)

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard:

> So whither does one submit an improved manual page for ul(1) ? Here's the source:
>
> * http://jdebp.eu./Proposals/ul.1

Benjamin Kaduk:
> Somehow I do not think that a 1993 copyright by the Regents is accurate.  I am unwilling to commit without some clarification of the copyright status and confirmation of license terms (noting that for new code, we prefer the two-clause BSD license at this point).

It's actually quite clear and straightforward.  You are suggesting that
the copyright declaration should be changed; that is not permitted,
however.  The copyright declaration for the UC Regents is entirely
accurate for the (small amount of) existing manual text that's still
there, and retaining it is mandated by the first of the very licence
terms that you are referring to.  I took the existing manual and
expanded and corrected it, and the world has my work under the exact
same licence that I had the original, so that the result is not
entangled in BSD Licence Hell; hence the exact same licence remains
there as-is.

Really, the first reaction should rather be something like "My goodness!
Are all of those bugs really there?" or perhaps "Does anything nowadays
make any use of that wacky lpr feature?" or even "Given then that it can
handle UTF-8 input and output, could ul be fixed to make all of groff's
overstrikes work?".  (-:

I haven't found anything that makes use of the lpr feature. Presumably
it dates from a time when ul was once used as a filter for printing.
Back then there was an array of programs: collpr, colcrt, iul, ul, ulpr,

And more interesting is whether less could be fixed to make groff's
overstrikes work.  Or groff fixed to not need overstrikes for things
that can be done in Unicode ...