Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:50:41 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        tsikora@powerusersbbs.com
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Temperature

Ted Sikora writes:
> I run (2) seti sessions nightly usually on this machine. I have an Inwin
> case with 2 fans besides the ps and CPU's. One front mounted pulling air
> in and one Xlarge rear mounted pulling out next to the ps level with the
> CPU's. Air flow is strong right out and across the case?? Who knows? I'm
> tempted to put 3.3 back but..

Did you miss the other posts?

"Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org> said:
> The Winbond chipsets seems to have different multipliers than the LM78
> chipsets.  As author of lmmon/wmlmmon, I have yet to get someone to
> test so I can verify what the correct multipliers are.

Another point to assert that your problem is simply one of calibration
is when you observe instantly on boot the CPU temperature is 26F
hotter. There is too much thermal mass in your CPU and heatsink for it
to rise 26F as quickly as you seem to indicate.

You need one of the digital indoor/outdoor thermometers available at
Radio Shack, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. Paid $15 last time. Forgot it that
one had max/min memory or not. Anyhow, put the outdoor probe on your
heatsink and get a 2nd opinion. When this thermometer doesn't read
significantly different between Linux and FreeBSD you can be assured
there is a only calibration problem.

Those digital indoor/outdoor thermometers are great. Made a 1000 mile
road trip this past week. Thru the outdoor probe out a window. Sure was
nice to know when I entered freezing conditions. Sure was miserable to
know when I bought gas Tuesday it was 21F out. Now I need a wind speed
meter as I'm certain it was blowing 30 MPH but have no way of proving
it. Would also be nice to know what the windspeed is over the car as
I'm also pretty sure I drove into a headwind the 2nd 500 miles.

BTW: I'd be interested in a CPU temerature monitoring program for my
Asus P2B-S. Asus uses a termistor, not the LM part.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net