Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:47:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
To:        nunnari <roberto.nunnari@agie.ch>
Cc:        stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: packages vs ports ??

The best forum is <questions@freebsd.org>.

A package is a precompiled binary package, usually downloaded from
ftp.freebsd.org though of course anyone is free to create packages.
They are found (if I recall correctly) at
<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages/>.  Their major downside
is that oft-times they are compiled requiring X or (when there was
a problem recently, this was corrected) Kerberos, for example; or
they just may not be optimized for your configuration.  They do
save time, though, and are added with the pkg_add command (it even
takes a URL as a parameter if you want to fetch and install all in
one step!)

The ports, I think, are more popular -- they can download (from
the original package site or with a fallback on ftp.freebsd.org),
configure, compile, and install all in one step; and you can
interrupt the process to make source changes or what not.  There
is more information on those in the FreeBSD Handbook at
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/>, but usually you just do cd
/usr/ports/category/name;make install. :)