Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:23:34 +0100
From:      Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk>
To:        Carl Harris <ceharris@cns.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp4.freebsd.org down

Carl Harris wrote:

> In attempting to rebuild our mirrors of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and others I
> have once again come to the conclusion that 'mirror', the Perl script,
> seems wholly unsuited to the task of maintaining *large* mirrors.

Even I (the author of the perl mirror) have to admit that very large
areas give mirror serious grief.

Some of these problems will be overcome in mirror-2.9 (due out in about
1 month).  That version can mirror directory-by-directory.  This avoids
the nasty memory requirements of mirror-2.8.  The downside is that it
needs to do a 'dir' command in each directory - which makes it harder on
the server (a get of one ls-lR file .vs.
several hundred 'dir' commands).

I'm busy on a complete rewrite from scratch of mirror with one of its
main goals being the ability to handle multi-gigabyte mirrors
efficiently.  It should go into beta tests in a few months time (if I
can find enough time to work on it !!)

> recall seeing a post to this list (or perhaps freebsd-announce) about
> a new official mirror that mentioned a mirroring software package.
> However, I can't seem to find that post anywhere.  Can someone bounce
> a copy of that post to me?  Or better yet, offer suggestions of better
> software to take care of this task -- I find it hard to believe that
> ftp mirrors the world over are getting by with 'mirror'.

Excluding very large areas mirror is OK.  I'm hoping to do a lot better
than just "OK" with the mirror 3.

	Lee

--
Lee McLoughlin.                         Phone: +44 171 594 8388
IC-Parc, Imperial College,              Fax:   +44 171 594 8432