Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:31:19 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building apache from /usr/ports

Greetings,

  Correct me if I m wrong.
  For in-core web server , every copy of server loaded has the perl and/or php
  in it.  For modules, its a shared library, the server is smaller size, and only
  a copy of the module is loaded in memory.

  However, in-core is slightly faster then modules, IIRC.

  I remember reading the performance pages of mod_perl, they recommend running
  mod_perl in-core servers separately as a application server.

  Thats my understanding of the difference between in-core and modules.

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Mike Meyer's email
:> Karsten W. Rohrbach <karsten@rohrbach.de> types:
:> > you won't recognize it until you have to implement a heavily loaded
:> > server with php or perl in-core. position independent code is know to be
:> > slower, but it outperforms monolithic compiles by saving a lot of ram.
:>
:> Ok, where does the savings come from? You get one copy of the code,
:> shared by all the processes running the binary, whether or not the
:> code is in a shared library. COW for data should mean that data should
:> be shared pretty much the same. So what have I missed?
:>
:> 	Thanx,
:> 	<mike
:> --