Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:09:13 +0200
From:      "Daniel A." <alive@dienub.org>
To:        Allen <slackwarewolf@comcast.net>,  chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Record Uptimes

Allen wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 00:50:01 -0400
> Kevin Brunelle <kruptos@mlinux.org> wrote:
>
>>> That's flaky?
>>>
>>> I typically get uptimes of 22-30 *hours* from my mains supply
>>> without interruption.  I have to keep the house clocks on my UPS
>>> here in Florida.
>>>
>>> I suppose the storms we get have a bearing on the quality of our
>>> electrical grid ;-)
>> Oh you have to love that Florida weather.  And just when you think you've got
>> the random power-outages beat with several strategic UPSes... the power is
>> out for 10-20 days thanks to the latest tropical storm.
>
> You could all move to Michigan. We dont' get tropical weather here.... Actually coming here form Florida, which some friends of mine have, you'd need some warm clothing ;)
>
> I still remember friens of mine coming up here saying "Man ti's freezing outside" and this was in the fall. Winter came and they almost cried lol.
>
> Anyway did no one think of bringing this up?:
>
> http://uptime.netcraft.net/up/today/top.avg.html
>
> Almost every box here is BSD, Free BSD, or Linux. And if you know a good one with major uptime, you can check for it and eventually it gets added.
>

>> Well, at least that's a rare one... but the power does drive me nuts.  I used
>> to joke that a light breeze would kill the power at the place where I worked.
>
> I hate Power outages with a passion. My UPS is dead :(

Oh man, speaking of power outages. I get them a lot here. I think my
file system/hard drive/other hardware has gone corrupt because that.
Whenever I get into bed, I know for certain that my system will either
A) Crash (Because of the failures) or
B) Lose power and stay shut down for the rest of the night.

Funny how it always happpens exactly an hour after I leave the house or
fall asleep.
And it's really frustrating, you know.  Knowing that I cant trust my
system staying up while I'm writing this email, because all the power
outages have damaged my hardware.

I live in a country with a really good infrastructure, no extreme
conditions or weather whatsoever. So what causes the power outages?
Unlike you guys, my power outages are caused by the people I live with.
Yeah. They cause shorts all the time.

If you see a guy who's kidneys hurt because of abusive coffee ingestion,
with eyes red because of continuous clawing-them-out, and random bald
spots on the head - Well, it's me.