Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 16:52:46 GMT
From:      Jo Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/101271: serial console documentation implies kernel rebuild required -- doesn't mention device hints

>Number:         101271
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       serial console documentation implies kernel rebuild required -- doesn't mention device hints
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The following page has sent me spinning down some irrelevant roads.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

In particular, you can control which serial port has the 0x10 flags from device hints.  It's not clear to me if recompiling is required for the boot loader or not, but it's not required for the main console after high-level sio is enabled.

I believe the page is simply out of date and needs to be updated for modern versions.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Please

1. Update to indicate what can be handled with device hints instead of recompiling

2. Mention that sio ports are often assigned in the order presented, so sio0 isn't always 0x3f8 and thus you'll need to move the 0x10 flags.

See i386/100831