Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:17:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to prevent motd including os info

>> If someone can get a shell on your machine, it should be trivial to
>> determine (at the very least) that the machine is running a bsd OS.
>> (existance of /usr/ucb, flags to ps, etc) You'd need to take care of
>> uname, dmesg, and so on. It's better to spend your time fixing real
>> security holes.

Not disagreeing with you in principle, but your examples don't really
hold up ... /usr/ucb is present even Solaris; flags to ps might change
if the system uses /usr/ucb/ps by default, etc.

Pardon my ignorance, but would any of the suggestions in this thread
fool nmap -O?  I'm with those who don't see the point of
obscurity; it only fools the novices that I'm not worried about
anyway.

- -d

- --
David Talkington