Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 18:21:03 +0900
From:      Yoshikazu Oda <oda@nal.ecl.net>
To:        kjc@csl.sony.co.jp
Cc:        P.Gevros@cs.ucl.ac.uk, salo@msc.edu, freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Efficient ATM card.

I'm using ENI ATM card with HARP.

> >From my experience, I can say that ENI drivers choose chipset and
> motherboard.   All ENI drivers make heavy use of PCI DMA, and the
> first generation pci chipsets don't seem to work well.  So, use
> triton-2, natoma, or newer chipsets.

You can use only 1WORD-DMA for first generation pci chipsets.
It is default setting on HARP version 2.1. (So, this version
may work on old chipsets' machine.)

Also, if you are using newer than triton-2 or else, you can use
4WORD-DMA, 8WORD-DMA for more performance by editting source
code (eni_transmit.c).

> WRT adding a traffic shaping function,  I'm planning to add a sysctl
> for it to cranor's driver but I won't have time to make a release
> until October.  If you're desparate, drop me an e-mail.
>
> --kj

I'm also looking for traffic shaping function for ATM card too.
I know ENI card supports traffic shaping on its hardware (but no
other cards support it). There are 8 channels for PCR timer (only
PCR, so it can't support VBR service), and setting two parameters
(Pr,Rate_Res) to specify PCR for each channel. But I don't know
this may work fine.

I'd like to know more about WRT's work for traffic shaping.
Is it hardware shaping on ENI card or shaping with software or else?

Regards,

Yoshikazu Oda
	Integration Services Laboratory
	NTT Multimedia Networks Laboratories