Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:26:38 -0600
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI HD5850 support?

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 17:11 +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>
> > http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19446
> >
> > Modesetting works, digital outputs don't, and none of the code has been
> > committed.  There is no timeframe yet, and you'd be stuck with the vesa
> > driver till modesetting is committed.
>
> Ok, since it is hard right now to get a HD5850 anyway I guess I have to
> wait until at least digital output is working (digital out and dual
> monitor support i need at least).
> Is there a place where I could "monitor" if the drivers gets updated with
> rv8xx support?
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd
>
> There? Or would it be a "patchset" at first anyway so it won't pop up
> there?

For FreeBSD, this pretty much means you will be waiting on me.  I
haven't poked the guys from AMD about this lately, but I know that they
were working on it.  I don't know yet exactly what will be needed to
make them work.  If indeed there is something special about them that
requires KMS, then it won't be quick unfortunately.

Actually, I just poked the guys from AMD... and it appears that nothing
particularly special is required.  So, once AMD releases the code I
should be able to incorporate the changes fairly quickly.  They did
state (as adam mentioned) that digital outputs are being problematic
right now, so that still needs a bit of love.  I don't have an ETA at
this point, but I don't expect it to be too much longer.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD