Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 05:04:05 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems starting apache

I know almost nothing about apache, but decided that I wanted to learn, so
I installed apache 1.3.9 via the port.  I then tried
'/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start' but got a ServerName error - the apache
FAQ said that I needed to add a ServerName, so I uncommented an entry in
httpd.conf - 'ServerName	localhost'.  I then tried
'/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start' again, but simply got the error message
"/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started".

This is a rather unhelpful error message, and I didn't see anything in
apache.org's sketchy manuals to help... the apachectl man page is simlarly
devoid of useful info.  In case it helps, '/usr/local/sbin/apachectl
configtest' replies "Syntax OK", and 'ping locahost' works nice and dandy.
Any ideas from those httpd experts out there would be greatly appreciated.

-Charon