Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:48:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> You have missed everything I've written, haven't you?  The server(s)
> crashing does not bother me ... IMHO, if I can cause it to crash, and
> someone can fix it, someone else won't be affected ...

Allow me to quote you to you...  Which usually isn't required:

"Over the past couple of months, I've been starting to wonder if the
Quality of FreeBSD's -STABLE branch has been deteriorating, to the point
that trusting it for any sort of "loaded server" environment is coming
into question ..."

and...

"Am I expecting too much from FreeBSD-STABLE?  Would I fair better if I
moved down into RELENG_4_7 and avoided -STABLE altogether?"

So I and others have been answering what you asked.  Ask other questions
if you desire other answers.

> What I *want* is some useful mechanism for getting such bugs addressed so
> that they don't repeat ...

If there's a bug, you check the mailing list, PR database, etc. and file a
PR as needed (send-pr(1)).  Developers address PRs when they have time.  I
think send-pr is a useful mechanism.  The key is having a process in place
that lets you find bugs to report in staging vs. your production
environment.