Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:44:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory ponderance

According to Stefan Esser:

> But it is very interesting to see how much
> useful work can be done with such a system.
> Pentiums are only good for playing 3D games,
> what else needs that much CPU power :-)
>
> } 	cost of an AMD 5x86 ?
>
> I've paid some $107 (*1.45DM/$ * 1.15 VAT).
>
> The Cyrix 5x86-100 seems to be sold for the
> same price, but I've heard it is no faster
> in the SP3G, since it needs special chip set
> support. (I could buy the AMD in a local
> shop, and I'm a little conservative and it
> seemed a smaller step than the Cyrix :)
>
> The Cyrix got a branch target cache and other
> "Pentium class" features. It is said to beat
> a P100 (with asynch. cache), though I really
> doubt it, given the limited memory performance
> (4 byte vs. 8 byte memory interface of the 486
> resp. Pentium.).

	If I can digress from the original topic//Subject,
	I'd like to ask some of you hardware-savvy types:

	What is the fastest CPU that I can run with my
	16MB of old, slow (80ns) DRAM?  Can I use my old
	memory with something like a Dx4-120MHz 486??
	or whatever it's called?  I'm sure that my 90MHz
	P5  came with much faster RAM.  If possible, I'd
	like to use my old memory when I upgrade my older
	system.

	Thanks for any insight....

	gary kline