Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:55:03 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
Cc:        antik@bsd.ee, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster annoyance or not?

Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:05:27PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>
>> This is what I have in my /etc/mergemaster.rc; it will
>> probably help in your case:
>>
>> DIFF_FLAG='-Bub'
>> DIFF_OPTIONS='-I$FreeBSD:.*[$]'
>> IGNORE_MOTD=yes

Newer versions of mergemaster prefer the following:
IGNORE_FILES='/etc/motd'

Other files can be added to that list as desired.

> Yes, it helps and I like it. But I'm forced to put it to each and every
> box I install; that does not annoy me so much
> but other people are annoyed.

There is no reason to install this permanently. You can use this
option the first time you upgrade, then use the -U option subsequently.

>> PS:  I think the above options should _not_ be on by
>> default, because that would be a POLA violation.
>> Those people who want them can easily add them to their
>> mergemaster.rc file.
>
> I see this as POLA recovery because there where no such problem
> with mergemaster before switch to SVN.

IMO this should be fixed at the CVS importer level personally. However
there are workarounds available for the time being.

Doug