Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:32:29 +0200
From:      "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "??0: watchdog timeout"; MII related?

Following a request from Ted Mittelstaedt to post this to
freebsd-alpha instead of freebsd-questions, I apologize
to those of you who subscribe to both lists. He felt this
list would be better suited to help me than the general
freebsd-questions crowd.

Hello,

I have now tried the following four NIC's on OpenBSD 2.9
 and FreeBSD 4.3:

- 3C905B
- 3C905
- eepro 10/100
- ANA-62011

Of these, only the eepro 10/100 works. The others give me
"??0: watchdog timeout" (where ?? is xl and sf respectively) upon
startup and the network is unusable from there on.=20

Having read a ton of archived messages about this problem, none of
them offered a solution, save one if_dc.c patch for an older version
of the dc driver that was supposed to do something about it.
Some said to try different PCI slots for the NIC's, and I did,
but it didn't make any difference.

But having read these archives, and a lot of other documentation,
I discovered that the difference between these cards is that the
3C905's and the ANA-62011 has an onboard MII interface while the
eepro 10/100 does not. Could there be something here to explain
the problem?

Other relevant information is that I'm running this on an
Alpha (164LX), GENERIC kernel, and that I don't go trough a HUB
(the cable is connected directly from one machine to the other,
from NIC to NIC).

Could someone provide me with tips and tricks to solve this?
Even long shots will be appreciated.=20

- IT