Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2015 12:31:12 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/src.conf in the right place?

--75efu8vkn6QcqU9C

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 09:15:48PM +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> when updating the base system I usually compile it using
> "make buildworld" on my fastest machine. Then I nfs-mount
> the directories /usr/src and /usr/obj on the machine I want
> to update. There I say "make installworld". If I forgot to
> copy the file /etc/src.conf to the target machine, the
> install will fail.
>=20
> Wouldn't it be more reasonable if src.conf was stored inside
> the source tree?

Not for me.

While I do something quite similar, my "build" machine runs a GENERIC
kernel, but the "production" machines have their own requirements (&
kernels); thus, I use each machine's /etc/src.conf to specify which
kernel it ought to be installing for "make installkernel".

(To clarfy: the build machine builds a GENERIC kernel as well as each of
the other kernels (for the production machines), but only
(self-)installs GENERIC.  Each production machine installs its own
kernel, as specified by its own /etc/src.conf.)

Peace,
david
--=20
Those who would murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous coward=
s.

--75efu8vkn6QcqU9C

--75efu8vkn6QcqU9C--