Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:50:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: standards/52972: /bin/sh arithmetic not POSIX compliant

The following reply was made to PR standards/52972; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To: Wartan Hachaturow <wart@tepkom.ru>
Cc: GNATS Bug Followup <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:40:06 +0200

 Wartan,

 On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 06:27:53PM +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
 # Hello.
 #
 # I've hacked out a simple patch for 5.1-RELEASE's /bin/sh, implementing
 # variables support in arithmetic evaluation, along with various assignment
 # operators.
 #
 # Since the patch is pretty big (11k), I won't include it right in the letter,
 # it may be grabbed from
 # http://velvet.myxomop.com/~wart/ash.patch

 Thanks for taking up the grunt work and implementing this. This is more
 than I hoped for!

 I've looked at your patch (not yet applied and tested) and have a few
 remarks:

 + It appears this is a patch against RELENG_4; is this true? If yes, a
   patch against HEAD is needed.

 + There are many lines with whitespace at end-of-line which you should
   remove. Can you instruct your editor to make these visible?

 + Reversing comparisons against constant values like in
   if (NULL == lookupvar($1))
   look like a style(9) violation.

 PS: 11k is not really a big patch. Nobody would mind if you send your
     improved patch to the GNATS db. URLs with patches tend to become
     stale very soon.

 Regards,

 	Jens
 --