Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:29:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Cc:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org, vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

Sorry -- I guess I'm old fart hold outs. I use uucp and many of my clients
use uucp. From what I see, UUCP use is growing even though these machines
never show up in the maps. I think uucp will grow even more.

Perhaps the best approach, if you really want to take it out of the
standard distribution, is to make it an option at install time. Those that
don't know what it is won't install it anyway.

Idiots will blow their feet of no matter how hard you try to protect them.
All you will accomplish, if you take it out of the distribution, is
force the idiots to use rm * instead and force me to go to MIT to get
and install UUCP.

-- Jay