Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 12:39:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Admin <admin@ella.lt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP log

Administrivia:

Three copies of your message showed up with the list, with three
distinct subject lines, suggesting three distinct attempts to send.
Please post only once, and wait several hours before deciding that
your message has not gone through.

Admin wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> How can I log and resolve outgoing trafic in separate log files
> depending on internal ip address
>
> for example:
> file 192.168.110.1.log
> <date> <time> <destination address>
> 2002 jul 21   15:26:01   www.freebsd.org
> 2002 jul 21   15:26:05   www.freebsd.org\ports

What you're asking for here is not IP logging at all. You want
application-layer logging of HTTP requests. To get this kind of
information, you will have to run an HTTP proxy on your NAT/router
machine, and force all internal clients to use that. The proxy can be
then configured to log all client requests. As a bonus, you'll save a
bit of bandwidth, and your clients will benefit from the proxy cache.

The logs probably won't be in the exact format you want, but you can
always write a clever Perl script to reformat the output
appropriately.

As far as specific technologies to use, look in /usr/ports/www/
Apache, for instance, can be configured as a proxy. Someone on this
list is probably better equipped than I to recommend the best web
proxy for an application of this size.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon