Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:26:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3940uw with long cables

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote...

> >> 1) Having equal distances between all devices is sometimes more
> >>    important than total bus length since the varying RC constants
> >>    can cause strange signal skew conditions if the lengths aren't
> >>    matched.

> >In addition to this: don't use both the internal and the external
> >connector of a SCSI adapter (assuming the internal & external
> >connector are on the same bus). The differences in external versus
> >internal (flat)cable are also no-good.

> If you get quality external cables, along with high quatlity
> connectors, this need not be an issue.  When dealing with cabling,

And high quality terminators.

> it is the impedance of the cable and its length that are important,
> not its "external" or "internal" nature.  I would only recommend

Exactly, but matching internal and external cable impedance might be
a problem. It is hard to determine impedances, and at least well beyond the
scope of the average SCSI user.

I think the following is valid: - if it works: fine
				- if it does not: try external and internal
				  buses on seperate hostadapters.
Wilko