Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 16:45:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        taob@io.org, klam@awod.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAIDION drive arrays

> >     I'm going to stick with hardware RAID on the news servers, but ccd
> > should do just fine on our main mail server.  Raw capacity is what I'm
> > aiming for there, not big TPS numbers or huge disk throughput.
>
> This seems somewhat odd to me.  I thought you'd expend the additional cost
> of RAID where you really need reliability.  If you lose news (assuming
> this doesn't happen very often) you just reload from another server,
> right?  If you lose mail, it's gone, no backup at all.

What if:

1)	You sell commercial feed services, so the news has to be reliable?
	If you loase your feed data, so does everyone down stream from
	you.

2)	You sell posting services (as an ISP)?  If your crash occurs
	before the feed distribution, but after an article has been
	posted, your customer's article is lost.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.