Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 21:55:12 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@glock.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ST43400N

On Jun 11,  9:42, "matthew c. mead" wrote:
} M.R.Murphy writes:
}
} > >  The drive hangs before a "fdisk sd1" completes, so I haven't
} > > even gotten as far as writing a disktab for it, since I can't
} > > get the probed geometry values for it.
}
} > When it probed 2777M, what else did it say?
}
} sd1(ncr0:2:0): Direct-Access
} sd1(ncr0:2:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
} 2777MB (5688447 512 byte sectors)
}
} > What kind of SCSI interface do you have? What low-level
} > formatters do you have available?
}
} 	It's an NCR810 controller.  I don't believe it has any
} low-level formatting capability, and I don't think it came with
} much software, but I can see if it will let me lowlevel format
} it.  Do you think that the problem is the low-level formatting of
} the device?  Here's some info the sheet on the ST43400N has:
}
} ----
} ** Already low-level formatted at the factory with six spare sectors
} per cylinder, one spare cylinders/unit, one system cylinder/unit, and
} one diagnostic cylinder/unit.
} ----

The NCR can be used to low level format any SCSI drive
with the "scsiformat" command, though I doubt it will
make much of a difference.

If you are running a -current kernel, then please try
one built with "options FAILSAFE". This will disable
use of tagged command queues, which are the most likely
cause of the problem you report.

If the drive works with tags disabled, then I'll send
further directions to find out whether it is possible
to work around that problem. (You may comment out the
call to scsi_start_unit() in /sys/scsi/sd.c for a test.)

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160