Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:17:39 +0100
From:      David Goddard <d.m.goddard@ic.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp -auto and sendmail as a delivery agent

Hi,

I know this is a variation on a FAQ, but trawls though the archives and
docs haven't produced definitive answers.

I'm running ppp -auto to handle my networking (works fine) on by 2.2 box,
and I'd like to check my mail with poplicent (no probs there) and send it
with sendmail (ugh).

During startup, sendmail (called from rc.local with -bd flag only) sends a
packet to the network, causing ppp to dial.  I find this strange as there
is no q flag.  I've disabled sendmail because of this - is this an
appropriate approach for achieving my aim or is there some other way of
preventing it from sending a packet (ie. should I have sendmail running as
a daemon for outgoing mail delivery to work properly)?  I would have
thought that I don't need the sendmail daemon, but I have had slight
problems...

A possibly related problem is that when I try and send mail to a local user
(ie. mail dmg or mail dmg@localhost), it brings up the ppp link and sends
it to the internet (sendmail is currently configured not to queue mail, I'm
going to get round to that Real Soon Now).  Before I set up ppp -auto (and
disabled the sendmail daemon), there was no problem with this (or is this a
red herring?).  I suspect that what is happening is that the mail is being
interpreted as being sent to dmg@dmg.cc.ic.ac.uk (ie. me at full name of my
host as defnined in sysconfig) which is then being sent over PPP (because I
have no sendmail daemon listening on my box?), munged by Imperial's mail
system to dmg@ic.ac.uk and delivered to my POP mailbox.

If I need to go RTFM a bit more, point me in the right direction please :-)

Thanks for any help you can give,

Dave

p.s. I'm not on the questions list so please cc me in any replies.  Cheers.
--
David Goddard  ~  dmg@ic.ac.uk  ~  goddard@acm.org
Management Information Services  ~  Tel: +44 (0)171 594 7282