Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:29:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Upgrading for idiots?

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

> >The new installer doesn't even touch /etc, so any customizations are
> >preserved.  You'll still want to merge across sysconfig, otherwise you'll
> >get odd ipx messages because of some new directives added to sysconfig.
> >If an item is missing from sysconfig, the results are somewhat undefined,
> >usually the missing item will be activated.
>
> If I am reading this right, the new installer - when upgrading - will *not*
> do anything with /etc ?? Or are you referring to permissions?  If it does
> nothing, then one would need to merge the current, but older files, but
> then where would the "new" /etc files be located.

Your existing /etc is completely untouched saved for a new directory
called 'upgrade' which contains the new config files supplied with the
distribution.  It's up to you to merge across changes.

> I would expect when the binaries are updated that they go back to the
> default permissions.  However I have seen a system with botched
> permissions.  Rather irritating when /tmp is not mode 1777 (vi doesn't
> work) and sendmail does not have 2111 (hard to mail otherwise).  This I
> cannot say was an install problem, as the box is a friends, so I'm not sure
> what happened.  At least I fixed it.

The permissions should be "fixed" during the install.  If they aren't I
suppose you could do it manually using the 'mtree' command.

> One would hope that if something were missing in sysconfig it would not be
> activated.  Only on one install did I have a problem with this file, which
> was easily compared with a clean install of the same build.  Still /etc/rc
> has:
>
> # If there is a global system configuration file, suck it in.
> if [ -f /etc/sysconfig ]; then
>     . /etc/sysconfig
> fi
>
> So a missing item should not be activated and there are some '!=' ifs as well.

Take a look at the ipx stuff.  if ipxrouted isn't defined, what happens?

I might bother Jordan about that.