Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:17:07 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: final thoughts on debug kernel size

On Friday, 17 December 1999 at 16:00:21 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> OK, we know the debug kernel takes up more space on the HD.  IIRC, while
> the aout kernels also took up more space in memory, the ELF kernels do
> not.  Am i correct?

Yes, this is correct.

> Also, if i run a kernel and keep an identical debug version on disk,
> will debug outputs/kernel dumps sync with the debug version to
> produce better debug output?

Yes.  But there's no reason to have two copies.

On Friday, 17 December 1999 at 16:09:21 +0000, Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,

Please include enough of the original text in your message so that we
know what you're referring to.

> I never bother with debug kernels as they're never much use in debugging
> locally unless you know the kernel inside out (my C is not that wonderful -
> If yours is then keep it!!!).    If it's the STABLE version, I wouldn't
> worry - I've never seen one die (apart from blowing the swap).

The problem is, when you *do* have a problem, it's too late to build a
debug kernel.  It's just a simple precaution against an unlikely
event.  Or don't you buy insurance either?

Greg