Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:50:18 +0300
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To:        Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-freebsd-fs@schottelius.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ACL broken on all FreeBSD variants

Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> Just choosed that provocant topic, because there seem to be no
> reaction on all the reports I send about FreeBSD ACLs.
>
> Just wanted to know, whether anyone REALLY uses ACLs with default
> entries. If so, does it really work with creating new files?

Look here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=setfacl&sektion=1&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE

      -d      The operations apply to the default ACL entries instead
of access
	     ACL entries.  Currently *only directories* may have default ACL's.

And here:
http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/6185

Directories are more complex, as they can have up to three types of ACLs:

     * An access ACL affects access to the directory itself.
     * The default directory ACL sets the default permissions on any
subdirectories created within the directory.
     * The default access ACL sets the default permissions on any
files created within the directory. Note that if the default directory
ACL is not set, subdirectories will also inherit this ACL. However, if
the default directory ACL is set, that value will override the value
of this ACL.

The current FreeBSD implementation supports *only the first two types*
of directory ACLs, so double-check the effective permissions on any
files you create in directories containing ACLs.

WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov