Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:04:11 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Thomas Quinot <thomas@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        Thomas Quinot <thomas@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf syntax change (multiple program/host specifications)

At 5:33 PM -0800 2/14/03, Wes Peters wrote:
>On Friday 14 February 2003 12:17, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > Something like 'max=256m', 'rotate=newsyslog' and 'rotate=rm'.
>>  Or I guess it should be something like 'rotate=trunc', so you
>>  don't have to deal with permissions on a newly-created log file.
>
>Keywords are easier to parse than name=value pairs in this case.
>How 'bout:
>
>lpr.info		/var/log/lpd-errs	256K
>local3.*		/var/log/foo		new 1K
>ftp.*			/var/log/ftp		bzip 1M
>cron.*			/var/log/cron		rm

Well, how about keep the size specification as you have it, but
have keywords which just happen to include '=' sign in them?
'atfull=newsyslog', 'atfull=bzip', 'atfull=rm'.  Still use a
simple strncmp() to do the check, but something that would be
a bit more obvious to someone seeing it (in the syslog.conf file)
for the first time.  Also, that way it's less likely to conflict
with any other cool ideas that some other OS adds to syslog.conf.

I'm not thrilled with 'atfull'.  Maybe 'rotate' or something.

>  > I'd also suggest that newsyslog be run with some (new?) option
>>  that says "rotate this file, even if you don't think it needs
>>  to be rotated".
>
>newsyslog doesn't really seen to have this feature; -F just
>truncates the file.  I'll look into a proper "force" flag for
>newsyslog.

Hmm.  Well, I should do something more than just annoy you with
requests of things to do.  I have some other stuff to do this
weekend (stuff for my real job), but I'll see if I can come up
with some update for the newsyslog side of things.

>  > I'd expect newsyslog to know *how* to do the
>>  rotation in this case (bzip, gzip, or alternate file-naming
>>  conventions, and permissions on the newly-created log file).
>
>What should it do if told to newsyslog a file it is not
>configured to handle?

Some simple default action.  "just rotate, keep 2 backups",
or something.