Date:      12 Jan 2003 18:33:48 +1300
From:      James Pole <james.pole@paradise.net.nz>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which video cards work best for stable

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 17:52, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> This is more an XFree86 issue than a FreeBSD issue
> (XFree86@xfree86.org).

Also, look at XFree86's website: http://www.xfree86.org/.

XFree86 has excellent 2D drivers for almost all the video cards and
chipsets made in the 1990's and many recent cards/chipsets (including
2D-only drivers for NVIDIA's video chipsets right up to the more recent
GeForce4 and most ATI chipsets).

However hardware 3D rendering/acceleration is usually provided via
binary drivers from the vendor (eg NVIDIA and probably a few other
companies)  or via an open-source driver from the DRI sourceforge
project (http://dri.sf.net/). Information on the FreeBSD port of DRI can
be found at this url: http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/.

>From that page it looks like cards with chipsets made by either Matrox
and ATI Radeon (including 8500 and older models) are supported under
FreeBSD. However I would like any DRI users to contribute more
information on how stable/useful DRI is under Windows with ATI cards
since I have never used DRI myself.

NVIDIA provides official binary drivers for FreeBSD, but they create
problems for many users. Have a look around the mailing list archivers
and google around and you'll see that plenty of people have problems
with the FreeBSD/NVIDIA driver. Myself included.

There are some more information on NVIDIA cards on these websites:-
http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/
http://www.thirteenandtwo.org/nvidia/faq.html

- James

--