Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:09:35 +0000
From:      Orion Hodson <O.Hodson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        JT <luser@ahab.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@uunet.co.za
Subject:   Re: Crystal Sound Card not recognised

<20001129021839.A2922@sseye.ahab.com>JT writes:
> First recommendation: hey, write us one!

This might be as bad as you think, I'm currently working on cmi8x38
and it only took a day to get basic playback working (YMMV depending
on card, specs, and other implementations).  Some refs that may help

A sound driver template code - http://www.freebsd.org/~cg/template.c

Code for existing newpcm drivers and info on bus resources contained in:
	http://www.daemonnews.org/200008/isa.html

For CS4281 there are publicly available specs and implementations for
ALSA, Linux, and Netbsd to help learn for experiences from others, e.g.
	http://trap.fukui-med.ac.jp/NetBSD/TERA.patches.html
	http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.2/patch/patch-2.2.17/linux_drivers_sound_cs4281.c.html

> Second: www.opensound.com sells drivers - I just got this working on
> my cheapass toshiba.  Existing audio apps use it just fine.
> Third: Bitching is still free and easy, but it doesn't get your card
> working (what you think I didn't already try that? =)

Fourth recommendation: offer to donate a card / motherboard for
someone else to write driver, announce publicly and very loud.

cheers
- Orion.