Date:      Wed, 23 May 2012 06:36:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <lars@larseighner.com>
To:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connect to Clear hub modem

On Wed, 23 May 2012, Robert Bonomi wrote:

>> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Tue May 22 23:03:03 2012
>> Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 22:58:39 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
>> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>> Subject: Connect to Clear hub modem
>>

>> This is NOT a wireless question.
>>
>> I am running FreeBSD 8.3-p1.
>>
>> I want to connect to Clear Wireless Internet.  I know I cannot do this with
>> a Clear dongle, because Clear uses WiMax which is not supported.
>>
>> Instead I have a Clear hub modem.  I want to connect by ethernet to it by
>> wire.
>>
>> I get this from ifconfig:
>>
>> re0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>>     options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC>
>>     ether 40:61:86:e9:96:0e
>>     media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>>     status: active
>>
>> But I don't have a clue what to do from here.
>>
>> The hub is supposed to have a web page at (imaginary address) 192.168.15.1,
>> but I haven't been able to raise it.

Whoops!  By imaginary, I meant not really on the internet, but in
198.168.x.x block reserved for private netting.

This combination of things seems to work in rc.conf:

network_interfaces="lo0 re0"
ifconfig="DCHP"
ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.15.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.15.1"

This seems to be the basic setup for all Clear hub modems for fixed
locations.  It may or may not be a step in the right direct for Clear mobile
hotspot type modems.

I also added the nameservers that the hub told me about to resolv.conf
although it is not clear to me that this is consulted.

tun0 will stomp all over this configuration (which is, as a reminder, wire
ethernet connection to Clear hub-modem) and pppoe is not pertinent on
your side anyway.  It is much simpler than I thought.  You can leave
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf alone in case you have to drop back - just don't invoke
tunX in rc.conf.

Also part of the learning experience before the original question: ethernet
cables are not created equal.  Use the one that comes in the modem box (four
wire), not some two-wire cable you have lying around.

Later today, dongles that will work with FreeBSD are expected to arrive, so
we will see whether it is possible to get wireless connections to the Clear
hub modem.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html