Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 01:46:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet options on 2.2-GAMMA

According to J Wunsch:
> As Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > > The relevant code in pccardd is actually fairly small, and the card
> > > database ought to compress well.
> >
> > Actually, this is the hard part.  The code in pccardd is *NOT* small,
> > since it has to read all of the darn card TUPLES and such.  It's alot of
> > bloat for (IMHO) little gain.
>
> What about supplying this from a second floppy?  Remember, once the
> kernel has been loaded, the floppy device is available again.

Speaking of the floppy being available again...
One BADLY missed option sometimes is the "Start holographic shell" option
in the main menu. It'd be really nice to be able to get a shell first thing,
and be able to start the install after doing initial work.
(Currently the routine is: make install crash, and give you a shell, then
do what you want, and retry istallation. Kinda sucks.)

I seem to remember there being some problem with that option, like if the
shell was launched too early, floppy install, etc wouldn't work. So what?
If you're going to install from network and you need to set things up a bit
BEFORE you let sysistall at it, you kinda like to have that shell there.
So, why not make it an option and simply say:
 "Are you sure? This will disable floppy install, etc"
And if the user says to go ahead, then just disable floppy install, and give
the user his long awaited shell. Or?

I'm sorry if this is something that is already fixed, or somehow rejected.
In the latter case, why?

  /Mikael