Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 17:29:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: low-mem machines awfully slow now

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Hmmm.  Any swap space configured?  One recent change I made was to do

Of course.  I accepted the default configuration (A)utomatic in
the label editor).

I've noticed that it's just the crunched sysinstall binary.  It's as
slow as during installation also when running it in multi-user mode.
I'm rather surprised, since i think most of its pages should remain
in-core (in particular at installation time), and if not, should be
backed to swap.  But the disk LED never lit during these long pauses,
so it wasn't grabbing a page from swap.

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen in previous releases.

--
cheers, J"org